Where N9 Meego I Go
There has been developments which brings the Nokia N9, running on Meego 1.2 Harmattan, closer to release in the retail markets worldwide.
For starters, the N 950, which also runs on the Meego 1.2 Harmattan OS has already achieved the US Federal Communications Commission approval in May (FCC ID:LJPRM-680). As the only main hardware difference between the N950 and the N9 lies in the slide-out QWERTY keyboard, the final retail N9 should also achieve FCC approval, if it hasn’t already.
The N950 is only available to Meego 1.2 Harmattan developers whereas the N9 is for release to the mass market.
The FCC-ID for the N9 appears to be LJPRM-696.
The difference between the N950 and the N9 is as follows:
Nokia N950 device software Beta notes
* The Nokia N950 phone software is in beta stage and does not represent
the final quality or feature set which will be available when Nokia N9
is commercially available.
* If the device becomes unresponsive you can to perform a hardware reset.
Press the power key on top of the device and keep it pressed down for
8 or more seconds
* Certain types of use may drain the battery faster than normal.
* Across the UI there are still logical ID’s shown in some languages,
icons may not be finalized and animations with opening windows are
* Over-the-Air updates may not be available for the next software version.
* Gallery application may sometimes display ‘no items’
* Help (Info buttons) is disabled from this release
* There are many applications and services which are not available in
this beta release.
* Performance of all use cases has not been optimized yet
* Echo may be heard during some voice calls. This can be eliminated
by turning speakerphone on and off during the call.
* Chinese input method is not supported in this Beta release
Once the FCC approval has been granted, the local telecommunication companies can market the Nokia N9 in the States. The Penta-band 3G and Quad-band GSM Nokia N9 will have no problems with local transmission standards.
Also, 3 Group European Carrier has announced in a press release that they will be selling the retail Nokia N9 handsets on the 23rd September in Sweden.
Keep track of this space as we will be updating you on the international release of the Nokia N9 handset, and when it will be available for sale, as it happens.
Also, if you have any up-to-date or inside-information on the impending retail release of the Nokia N9 handset, do let ALL of us know by posting your comments here.
Much appreciated 😉